Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie
3/4 cup Splenda granular
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or lite)
1 1/2 cups 2% milk (or 1% for less fat)
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
1 (9-inch) pie shell, prebaked
1/4 cup toasted coconut
Whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
1. In a 1-quart saucepan, combine 3/4 cup Splenda, coconut milk, and 1 cup milk. Scald mixture.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch together to make a slurry. Whisk egg yolks with salt in medium bowl. Temper yolks by adding 1/2 cup scaled milk mixture to yolks and whisk well. Add yolk mixture and slurry back into milk mixture and whisk vigorously over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla, and butter. Whisk until uniformly incorporated.
3. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill the pie completely, about 2 hours.
4. To serve, top with toasted coconut (see directions below) and a dollop of whipped cream.
5. How to toast coconut: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread unsweetened coconut shavings, or sweetened shredded or flaked coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring once or twice, until golden, about 5 to 10 minutes. If toasting sweetened coconut, check and stir more frequently because the added sugar causes irregular browning.
Nutritional Information: Per 1/8 pie made with 1% milk and lite coconut milk: 282 calories, 23.9 g carbohydrates, 18.6 g total fat, 11.8 g sat. Fat, 0.5 g fiber, 168.6 mg sodium, 4.4 g protein.
Just pudding, made with 1% milk and lite coconut milk (1/8 recipe):
175 calories, 15 g carbohydrate, 11.5 g total fat, 8.2 g saturated fat, 0.5 g fiber, 79.6 mg sodium, 4.4 g protein.
How does this recipe compare to a traditional Coconut Cream Pie? My version is significantly lower in calories, fat, carbs, sugars, and sodium. For comparison, the nutritional information for a restaurant size slice of coconut cream pie is 630 calories, 65 g carbohydrate, 39 g total fat, 24 g saturated fat, 1 g fiber, 370 mg sodium, 43 g sugars, 6 g protein.