Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cherry Limeade & Homemade Lemonades

While growing up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, there used to be a drive-in restaurant on Peoria that I would frequent during my high school years. Pennington's was the hangout and whenever I'd go, there would most always be someone from my high school munching a burger or sipping a fountain drink nearby. It was the place to be seen and to check out everyone else! I will always remember fondly their Cherry Limeade customized to my order and made with plain water.

Recently, I purchased an inexpensive citrus juicer to recreate this refreshing drink. Of course, I didn't need a machine, but it makes it easier and opened the door to lots of other delicious recipes using nutritious, sunny citrus fruits, especially lemons!


Cherry Limeade (Makes 1 serving)

Mix together:

the juice of one lime
1 1/4 cups of water (substitute carbonated water, if you like it fizzy)
2 tablespoons of sugar-free Cherry syrup
2 tablespoons of Splenda granular (or to taste)
Mint garnish, if desired

Nutritional Information: 19 calories, 6 g carbs

Homemade Lemonade: Follow the recipe above, except omit sugar-free syrup and adjust Splenda to taste. You may need to add more water, if too tart.

Raspberry Lemonade: Follow the recipe for limeade, except substitute sugar-free Raspberry syrup for the cherry flavor. Adjust Splenda to taste. You may need to add more water, if too tart.

How does this recipe compare with a regular Cherry Limeade?
The difference is shocking! My recipe is far lower in calories and carbohydrates. For comparision, the average nutritional information for a Cherry Limeade purchased at a restaurant is 240 calories, 62 g carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment